Further investigations with phonotropes

Testing out the first layer of my vertical paper phonotrope.

In the video posted above, I’m testing out the first layer of my second phonotrope project (you can read about my technical process and first phonotrope here). I decided to play around with varying the number of frames in each animation, resulting in the animation moving horizontally. If you add frames, the animation moves right-to-left; if you subtract, it moves left-to-right. The snake in the centre has the “correct” number of frames (32) so it remains in the same location.

The flattened artwork. It’s shown 2-up, because I always like to print a spare.

Thinking about building an interior framework with balsa wood + dowling to minimize the wobble of the paper at the top. (The taller the paper structure gets, the more prone it is to wobble when rotated).

Now, on to the next layer/s for this phonotrope. Thinking of having one, and maybe two, additional layers on the inside of this phonotrope. Stay tuned.

June 2018 Update

Hello gentle renders. It’s been a while since we’ve had a proper Lady Lazarus blog post, therefore I feel that an update is long overdue. My various teaching gigs and ongoing animation project have, predictably, commandeered my time and energy. However, I now can see the light at the end of the proverbial tunnel.

scene 16 blur

Work-in-progress video still from “Wunderkammer” (projected release date Fall 2018).

First off, I just completed all of the footage for my short animated film Wunderkammer. This project has been three years in the making, with the occasional long pause in the work flow due to my teaching jobs. That’s a fairly lengthy birth process, but I’m happy to report that this baby is (mostly) birthed. I have edited together all the footage, and am now giving final consideration to the overall pacing before I deliver the film to be scored. I can hardly wait to both see and hear this strange little short film.

indiegogo final

Second bit of news, my crowdsourced fundraising campaign is drawing to a close and –I’m delighted to report — we’ve surpassed our funding goal. I’m very, very grateful to all the contributors who offered their hard-earned cash to support this project. These funds will help pay for the music, and also help with the submission fees to film festivals. I’m hoping for a 1-2 year festival run, during which time the film will not be viewable for free online. Fingers crossed that this weird animated film finds it’s festival audience.

Wunderkammer work-in-progress

Hello, my darklings. Thought I’d create a work-in-progress blog post for my ongoing Wunderkammer animation project. All of the images in this film are drawn by hand, scanned and output as large-format greyscale prints. These prints are then coloured with coloured pencils and, in some cases, cut out. Once the backgrounds and cutouts are complete, I shoot them under-camera using stop-motion techniques. Below are a couple of quick cellphone photos of this work process.

IMG_6367

IMG_6331