—Domestikia, Chapter 3: La Petite Mort
A tale of love, betrayal and one vengeful butterfly. This project was inspired by the surreal animations of Lenica, Borowyck and Svankmajer, Japanese tentacle erotica, and those strange, middle-of-the-night dreams one has after spicy food.
Story, artwork and articulated paper puppets created by Jennifer Linton.
Stop-motion animation by Carla Veldman.
Original musical score by Zev Farber.
Directed & edited by Jennifer Linton.
This animation was made possible by the financial support of the Toronto Arts Council and the Ontario Arts Council. Copyright ©2013 Papercut Pictures (Jennifer Linton). All rights reserved.
(Above) Production stills from Domestikia, Chapter 3: La Petite Mort (2013).
• Official Selection at the UnderGround Film Festival 2015, Cork, Ireland.
• Official Selection at the Montreal Underground Film Festival 2015 (Nominated for the 2015 Jury Prize/Nomination pour un prix du jury MUFF 2015).
• Official Selection at the Winnipeg Underground Film Festival 2015.
• 17 Days video art installation, Western Michigan University (Michigan, USA) 2014
• Official Selection at the Video Art & Experimental Film Festival 2014 (NYC).
• Official Selection at the Female Eye Film Festival 2014, Toronto (Nominated for Best Animation award).
• Official Selection at the Boston Underground Film Festival 2014.
Domestikia: The Incident in the Nursery
The Nanny dutifully rocks a bird-headed infant to sleep whilst its older siblings play on the floor of the nursery. And then, suddenly and unexpectedly, a butterfly happens.
Domestikia: The Incident in the Nursery uses paper cutouts and articulated paper puppets in a stop-motion animation to explore the strange, dreamlike and uncanny realm of the Domestic Gothic. With a healthy dose of black humour, it tackles the anxieties and challenges experienced by parents of young children.
Artwork, animation and directing/editing by Jennifer Linton © 2012.
Screened in a program curated by Lynn Dana Wilton, Echo Park Film Center, Los Angeles, USA, 2015.
Toronto Animated Image Society (TAIS) Showcase 2013, May 11, 2013, Toronto, Ontario.
King Street Alternative Film & Video Festival, February 8-9, 2013, Toronto, Ontario.
International Short Film program Animaldiçoados (Animacursed) 2012 Film Festival in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. August 2012.